Home | Welcome to Namegawa | Historical Cultural Assets

Historical Cultural Assets

Namegawa is where the culture of the Hiki area first unfolded. The plateau belt that runs from the Haneo region to the Tsukinowa region Is known as one of the most famous historical remains distribution belts in this part of Japan. Remains excavated from this area show that people were living here during the Paleolithic era thousands of years ago.
Furthermore, the remains of the Gorin-numa Kama-ato, the oldest sue earthenware kiln in Saitama, were discovered here. The Mokuzo Amida Nyorai Zazo of the Senpuku Temple, which has been designated as an important national cultural asset, along with many other historical and cultural treasures can still be found throughout the town. They serve as proof of how our predecessors, from the ancient past through the Middle Ages and modern times, have thrived on this very same land. The flowering of this cultural heritage tells us quite a bit about our past.

Mokuzo Amida Nyorai Zazo

(Seated wooden Buddha)
The Seated wooden Buddha of the Senpuku Temple in Izumi is an extremely precious religious artifact that has been designated as an important national cultural asset. The sculpture is set between statues of the Bodhisattva of Mercy and the Bodhisattva of the Spirit. The prefecture has designated the two smaller statues as tangible cultural assets.

The Seated wooden Buddha was completed sometime between the late Heian and early Kamakura periods. It was constructed in the Jocho style, the most popular style of that age. While the exact date cannot be determined, from the engravings inside the statue, it is know that the statue underwent repairs and reconstruction in the year 1254.

Keitoku-ji Shitenno-zo

(The Four Devas of the Keitoku Temple)
Keitoku-ji is a Zen Buddhist temple. The Four Devas were originally located near the gate of the Yakushi-do (Healing Buddha Hall), but today they stand near the main gate of the temple.
The Four Devas are known as the protectors of Buddhism and of Buddhist worshippers. Their names are Tohoji Kokuten, Seiho Komoku-ten, Nanpo Zocho-ten and Hoppo Tamon-ten (Bishamon-ten). These yorigi style statues are said to have been constructed during the middle part of the Edo period.

Gorin-numa Kama-ato

(Gorin Pond Kiln remains) 
The remains of this kiln, built during the Tumulus period, are from the oldest sue kiln ever to have been discovered in Saitama Prefecture. The kiln is located on a slope overlooking a pond called Gorin-numa. The dimensions of this tunnel-like, ascending kiln were approximately 2~2.5m X 1.5~1.7m X 15m. Today, the tunnel has been recreated in sand as it was centuries ago.

Ikonohayami Tamahime Jinja

(Tamahime Shrine)
This shrine was previously located on the top of Mt. Ninomiya and in 1469 it was moved to its current location. Daigo Tenno, the 60th emperor of Japan ordered Fujiwara Tadahira to make a compilation of the Engi Laws regarding the location of shrines. Fujiwara then arranged for the location of 44 shrines within the Musashi no Kuni district. This shrine is one of the oldest shrines in the prefecture, and it is now a part of the Hiki Sosha.

Trees in their natural state surround the grounds of the shrine. Primarily ara oaks and evergreens common to warm-temperate forests cover the southern half of the grounds. The northern half of the grounds is covered with akashide (hornbeams), soro and other deciduous trees common to temperate climates. The proximity of these two climate belts within the grounds of the shrine is of extreme importance to scholars. In 1928, the shrine and its grounds were designated by the prefecture as a natural monument. The calligraphy on the 11m vertical banner is the name of the shrine and was written by Katsu Kaishu.

Menu  Page Top  Home